How does my pharmacy benefit from providing MTM services?
- The provision of MTM services from a community pharmacy allows pharmacists and technical staff to practice at the top of their skill level. Educating patients about the best use of their medicines, consulting with prescribers on appropriate medication use, and assisting in disease management can improve job satisfaction and improve staff retention.
- Provision of MTM services results in increased revenue.
- Introducing pharmacy-provided clinical services to patients increases the likelihood that patients will begin using the broad knowledge of their pharmacists to help them improve their health and decrease their overall healthcare costs, which will improve their level of satisfaction.
- Providing MTM services will satisfy prescription insurance carriers by allowing them to attain a higher star rating with the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid services (CMS). This may in turn result in more lucrative contracts with prescription insurers in future years.
- Pharmacy-provided clinical services will also increase the likelihood that local prescribers will utilize the broad knowledge base of pharmacists, and also increase the likelihood that prescribers will recommend your pharmacy to their patients for immunizations, point-of-care testing, and other pharmacy-based services.
What services does BetterMyMeds provide to help my pharmacy develop its MTM program?
- Training of pharmacists, pharmacy technicians, and clerical staff on the use of the OutcomesMTM and Mirixa platforms, including scheduling patient appointments, documenting interventions, generating new claims, and submitting completed claims.
- Training of pharmacy technicians and clerical staff on techniques for engaging patients in conversation about MTM services, generating interest in participation, and scheduling appointments with pharmacists.
- Training of pharmacists in taking medical histories; documenting medication profiles; motivational interviewing; identifying gaps in therapy, duplications in therapy, possible drug interactions and side effects. Shadowing, mentoring, and post-interview discussion will be provided. Training will also include appropriate follow up and monitoring.