Medication Therapy Management is our Specialty
Medication Therapy Management (MTM) is a patient-centered health care service provided by a pharmacist, the medication expert on the health care team. Pharmacists who provide MTM services can improve therapeutic outcomes and help patients get the most benefit from their medicines by:
- identifying, preventing, and resolving drug-related problems
- educating patients about their medicines and how to use them
- consulting with prescribers when needed to improve medication use
What does MTM include?
Comprehensive Medication Review (CMR)
The CMR starts with an interview between the pharmacist and patient that usually lasts between 30-45 minutes. During the interview your pharmacist will:
- Make a complete and accurate list of all the prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins and dietary supplements you are taking.
- Review your medical history and evaluate all medications for efficacy, side effects, drug interactions, and duplications.
- Evaluate the need for all of your medications, and will work within established medical guidelines to ensure that any gaps in medication therapy are considered.
- Address all of your questions and/or concerns about your medications, and will provide education about how your medications work, their possible side effects, and issues you need to be aware of.
- Communicate with your prescriber if any changes to your medication therapy are recommended.
- Provide you with an up-to-date medication list and written plan to address any medication-related problems that were identified.
- This is an ongoing, team-based process in which you, your prescriber, and your pharmacist work together to maximize the effectiveness of your medications in controlling particular diseases such as diabetes, high blood pressure, asthma, COPD, and others.
- Your pharmacist will continue to work with you to ensure that medication-related problems are resolved in the best way possible.
A BetterMyMeds pharmacist can also provide more in-depth services for specific conditions or health care needs, including:
- Pharmacotherapy consults
- Anticoagulation management
- Health and wellness programs